Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I'll Always Appreciate John Green Even Though I Don't Like His Books

BOOK DISCUSSIONS

Even though I don't like John Green's books, I am still always going to be thankful for his books.

You're probably thinking, "how does that work? What do you mean?"

Let me back up a little. During all of 2012, I was not in the best mindset and I stopped reading. I hardly picked up any books. I didn't buy any books except for a Sarah Dessen box set. The only books I read that year were the Sarah Dessen books and this old book about the 1984 Detroit Tigers written by Sparky Anderson. I worked third shift and would read that book about the Tigers at work over and over and over. 

Then one day I got fired. I didn't know what to do. I was upset and stressed and just wanted to wake up and have it be a dream. But it wasn't. So, my dad tried to cheer me up by taking me to Barnes & Noble.

As I was browsing, I realized how out of touch I was with books. I had seen some I had heard about, but I wasn't on the internet a whole lot at the time and didn't follow new releases or anything like I do now. Anyway, I saw "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I liked the cover and I read the blurb and decided it was the perfect book for my depressed mood. I had never heard about the book so I had zero expectations going into it.

I went home and read it in four hours and then bought the rest of his books. Including his co-written books. I realized, through John Green's books, that I did still love reading. I just needed that little push. So even though I don't really like his books, (I know, I know I'm sorry!!) his books pushed me to start reading again and start buying books. I fell in love with books and reading again because of The Fault in Our Stars. So even though I would call it The Fault in Our Three Stars (that's what I rated it on Goodreads) it was still influential to me and I'll always be grateful for that book.

So tell me:
Do you have any authors/books that have helped you out of big book slumps? Do you still like that author/books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my content and respond to it! I will get back to you as soon as I can. Happy reading!